Barista Level 3 - Vancouver
Prerequisite: Barista Level 1 and level 2, no exceptions
Duration: 3 hours
Who is this course for:
- You want to learn about and work in specialty coffee
- For Beginners to Advanced, all ages
Curriculum: This class expands the fundamentals you learnt and practised in Barista Levels 1 and 2 until you Perfect the One Person Bar. This understanding and experience of perfecting the one person bar is essential for efficient high quality cafe operations.
You will also explore why people drink the coffee they drink, ask important questions about how and what people taste when they drink coffee? In this class we pull back the curtain and reveal the real truth about coffee. Despite being the most consumed drink in the world, very few people know anything about coffee. All we know are advertising factoids and propaganda.Some Topics covered:
- Specialty and commodity coffee types
- Tasting exercises
- Developing and understanding your palate
- Exposing Coffee Myths
- How to talk about and taste the essential Coffee Wheel of flavours
- The tongue map, umami and basic elements of tastes perception
- Blind Cupping
- Comparative cupping for roast level, branding and taste descriptors
- Comparative Cupping
- Cupping for quality
- Choosing a Roaster and their influence on taste
- How to Dial in the coffee by taste
- Preparing Drinks To Standards
- Milk texturing and microfoaming technique and principles
- Peak of coffee freshness and understanding expectations
- Changing the coffee marketing narrative
- Making adjustments to the grinder to change taste depending on retention, dosing and tamping
Registration: Pre-registration required, no dropins.
Class Sizes are small with most of the class time being hands on giving you lots of time to learn. Class includes printed take-away material.
Specials: Buy all 4 barista levels and save.
Private Groups: We can accommodate private group training on weekdays and weekends - just ask and we are happy to schedule your course to work best for your coffee business needs.
Class attendees receive a certificate of completion and a printed take away barista training notebook.