Coffee Roasting Level 1 (3days) - Vancouver
Prerequisite: No prior experience required
Duration: 3 days, 10 am to 6 pm
- Contact us for specific class dates that are not offered on our calendar.
- Contact us to arrange classes at your roastery.
- Contact us to schedule an installation, cleaning and maintenance or repair service.
Curriculum: This course is a hands-on experience of coffee cupping, tasting, roasting, maintenance, fire safety protocols and barista fundamentals to insure your roasting business success.
Learning to roast coffee successfully requires mentorship over a period of time, varying from a few months to a few years with lots of trials and errors. In spite of that fact, we can teach you the fundamentals of coffee roasting, safety procedures, simple maintenance and basics about coffee in a weekend. Anything beyond that is not realistic in a weekend course.
Day 1: Roasting is about developing flavors.. not colors. If you cannot taste your mistakes you will never make the appropriate corrections to your roast. Tasting is fundamental to all culinary arts, and roasting is a culinary art.
- Canadian Market Share
- Biology of tasting and the coffee tasting wheel
- Cupping, Tasting Espresso, Calibration and Discussion
- What is the #1 seller of coffee shops?
- What are the Roasting differences for 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th Wave
- Stereotype Roasting for Espresso, Batch Brew drip coffee, Pour Over filter coffee and all the rest
- Espresso Machine and grinder fundamentals
- Coffee Grinder adjustments for taste and consistency
- How to dial-in a grinder for batch brew, pour over and espresso
- Microfoaming milk and texturing for latte art
Day 2:The more you know about how your coffee roaster and how it works, the better you will be able to maintain and operate it, providing you with years of consistent dependable service. A well maintained machine is the heart and soul for every coffee roaster.
Through understanding your equipment, you will be able to improve the quality and consistency of your roasted coffee, the roasting process and get the most out of your green.
Ultimately this will give you the ability to deliver your marketed and advertised coffees to new and existing client cafes repeatedly and consistently.
Additionally, having a deep understanding of the equipment will help you to see what’s possible with your current roasting equipment and guide you in modifying your Roaster in the future.
During Day 2 you will join the Instructor along with your co-students in taking apart a coffee roaster to troubleshoot and learn hands-on the most effective way to clean and maintain a coffee roaster.
Once the roaster is thoroughly cleaned and you have a deeper understanding and appreciation for all of the moving parts we then move onto the hands-on coffee roasting in the afternoon.
Day 3:The Roasting Instructor will provide you with an overview of operating a coffee roaster, temperature time profile, breakdown in a roast and how to adjust for every outcome, fundamental roasting concepts followed by a demonstration of a complete coffee roast, from start to finish. Each student will be guided and given an opportunity to run roasts on their own and with their classmates. During and after each roast there will be time for a Question and Answer period to continue deepening your understanding.
Handouts and Resources included with your registration:
- Daily Cleaning and Maintenance
- Weekly Cleaning and Maintenance
- Monthly Cleaning and Maintenance
- Fire and Safety Plan Templates for both Canada and USA jurisdictions
- Roaster Fire Protocol - Discovery
- Pollution Control information
You will be given samples of your roasted coffee to take home with you.
If you would like to go further into Roasting Coffee, more courses are also available by request. Send us an email to learn more.
Registration: Pre-registration required, no dropins
Class Sizes are small with most of the class time being hands on giving you lots of time to learn.
Specials: Register for the Opening a Coffee Business Course, the Complete Barista Training and the Roasting course all together and save. Reach out to receive your discount code.
Private Groups: We can accommodate private group training on weekdays and weekends - just ask and we are happy to schedule your course to work best for your coffee business needs.
Class attendees receive a certificate of completion and a printed take away barista training notebook.
Recommended Reading: We recommend reading 4 coffee roasting books in this order: 1. Raimond Feil,2. Ryan Brown, 3. Rob Hoos and 4. Scott Rao. If you choose to purchase these books along with the course then reach out by email as we will extend a 20% discount code to you for the purchase of the 4 books.