Coffee Roasting Level 1 - Vancouver
Duration: 2 days, 10 am to 6 pm
This course is an introduction to coffee roasting, maintenance, fire safety protocols and cleaning. This is a vitally important course for experienced, beginner and hobbyist coffee roasters. Everyone is welcome!
Day 1: You will join the Instructor along with your co-students in taking apart a production coffee roaster to troubleshoot and learn hands-on the most effective way to clean and maintain a coffee roaster.
Once the roaster is thoroughly cleaned and you have a deeper understanding and appreciation for all of the moving parts we then move onto the hands-on coffee roasting.
Day 2: The Roasting Instructor will provide you with an overview of operating a coffee roaster, temperature time profile, breakdown in a roast and how to adjust for every outcome, fundamental roasting concepts followed by a demonstration of a complete coffee roast, from start to finish.
After the demonstration roast, each student will be guided and given an opportunity to run a roast on their own with their classmates. During and after each roast there will be time for a Question and Answer period to continue deepening your understanding.
More Details about this course:
The more you know about how your coffee roaster and how it works, the better you will be able to maintain and operate it, providing you with years of consistent dependable service. A well maintained machine is the heart and soul for every coffee roaster.
Through understanding your equipment, you will be able to improve the quality and consistency of your roasted coffee, the roasting process and get the most out of your green.
Ultimately this will give you the ability to deliver your marketed and advertised coffees to new and existing client cafes repeatedly and consistently.
Additionally, having a deep understanding of the equipment will help you to see what’s possible with your current roasting equipment and guide you in modifying your Roaster in the future.
Some of the topics covered in the class:
- All About Burners: the different types, how to clean and preventative maintenance and case studies of Probat, Diedrich and Loring branded roasters.
- All About Cooling Trays: Routine maintenance, how to clean, agitator arm maintenance and cleaning, cooling tray airflow issues and worst case scenarios discussed.
- All About Ducting: Sizing, cleaning, maintenance, how to avoid back pressure issues, and some straightforward math to understand your roaster and the relationship between diameter and airflow.
- All About Fans: Effects on ducting and fire, cleaning and maintenance discussed.
- All About Fires: Worst Case Scenarios and Case Studies, Step by Step Guides, Maintenance and cleaning guidelines and What to do in the event of a fire that is out of control
- All About Mechanical Aspects: Cleaning and Maintenance of Air Filtration
- Real life Case Studies
Many coffee roasters get into the business and don’t realize the expenditure they are facing, of course that is a problem, but more important is the fire hazard and safety protocols. This course will teach you to start off on the right foot.
Handouts and Resources included with your registration:
- Daily Cleaning and Maintenance
- Weekly Cleaning and Maintenance
- Monthly Cleaning and Maintenance
- Fire and Safety Plan Templates for both Canada and USA jurisdictions
- Roaster Fire Protocol - Discovery
- Pollution Control information
You will be given samples of your roasted coffee to take home with you.
Course is also available by request. Send us an email to learn more.
Maximum Class Size: For your safety we have changed our class sizes due to COVID. Our Teacher to student ratio is 2:1
Learn more about our COVID Class size changes and what to expect in a class here: https://canadianbaristainstitute.com/blogs/news/covid-19
Classes include printed take-away material.
Class attendees receive a certificate of completion from the Canadian Barista and Coffee Academy.
Vancouver: A wide variety of Accommodation is available nearby Vancouver Coffee Academy
Click here to learn about our Refund Policy